Monday, September 14, 2009

1st Dance Class

Today was Charlotte's first dance class. Since we slept very little last night, we were scrambling a bit this morning to get out the door and across town to the studio. We have been saving our dance attire (leos, tights, etc.) in a very special place for this day. Today was the first time we put on the ballet outfit. We talked about each thing as we put it on - why we wear leotards, the smooth texture of tights, etc. I wasn't prepared for such an emotional response to such an ordinary action. Who knew getting dressed could be so wrought with emotion? As Charlotte stood before me, a sweet ballerina, my sweet daughter, I was filled with joy for her. I am so blessed to be a mommy. And I am so blessed to share my passion for dance with my daughter. I don't care if she becomes a dancer. I just care that she finds something that truly makes her heart sing. For me it is the world of dance....I wonder what it will be for my daughter.
Hanging out before class, getting a special skirt. Each dancer picked their favorite color. All the moms waited in the lobby while the girls eagerly went into class with Ms. Adele.
Excited for class to begin - Charlotte and Ms. Adele.

Lollipops after class!


Hanging out with ballet friends.

All in all, I was amazed and impressed with this first 'Twinkle Toes' class. As a dance teacher and a studio owner, I understand that going into class without Mom and participating is a huge thing. At the studio, we generally count on 8 weeks for kids in our young dancer program (2-6 years) to get into a groove and feel comfortable in the studio environment. I was so happy today that the dancers in C's class felt safe and comfortable to enter class freely, participate with all of the lesson plan and just enjoy moving about the whole space. They were engaged the whole time. I was so proud! Kudos to Ms. Adele. What a fun class!


2 comments:

Hannah said...

We had so much fun in dance class with you both today.
Carissa, your words are so beautifully written! I could feel the love for this special time.

xoxo

melissa said...

We are honored to be taking dance at your studio and with all our best gal pals...what a treat it is!
xxoo,
M and P